SHERPA/FACT (Funders' & Authors' Compliance Tool) is a tool to help researchers check whether or not the journals in which they wish to publish their results comply with their funder's requirements for open access to research.
FACT combines and interprets data from SHERPA/RoMEO, SHERPA/JULIET and other sources to provide clear guidance to researchers, on compliance with Research Councils UK and Wellcome Trust Open Access policies, and offers advice on their available options.
- Allows authors to select which of members of RCUK or Wellcome Trust has funded their work.
- Allows authors to enter the journal name, name abbreviation or ISSN of the journal they wish to use.
- Cross-references the information held in RoMEO and in JULIET on both Funders' and Publishers' policies.
- Gives the author clear information as to whether that journal or publisher offers publication or archiving rights compliant with their funders' policy.
- Notes the level of OA fee payable, if any, and where this information is available on the publisher site.
- Gives guidance to the author as to what action to take next in order to comply with their funders' policy.
- There is also an Application Programmers' Interface (API) available.
This service is currently aimed at authors funded by Research Councils UK and the Wellcome Trust, to provide clear guidance on compliance with their Open Access (OA) policies and advice on the options available. It could be extended to cover other research funders.
FACT references the open access policies of the following research funders: